Engineering - Exam Papers - HL - Project - 2010
The global standardisation of containers and container handling technology is one of the important innovations of 20th century freight logistics. Central to this transport environment is the gantry container crane. The gantry container crane generally consists of a supporting gantry structure for a trolley unit. The trolley unit will in turn traverse the working area to locate, raise and lower the container.
Design a model of a gantry container crane to the
general specifications outlined :
- The model should have a fixed gantry structure;;
- The trolley unit should;
- Be incorporated into the fixed gantry structure;
- Have the traverse, raise and lower motions controlled by switches..
Special Note : A model container need not be included in the final solution
- Presentation of the completed machine should ensure
- All main operating features are clearly visible
- The longest dimension of the model does not
- Electric power does not exceed 9 volts.
- Design Process (40 marks)
A design folio must be compiled which will detail
- Analysis of the given brief and investigation of
- Criteria for selection of your own individual
solution and production drawings/plans;
- Testing and evaluation of your design solution;
- Special instructions, if required, regarding the
testing of solution by examiner.
Note: Marks are awarded as shown in the Marking Scheme. Computer-aided design (CAD) should be
used where possible.
- Design Realisation (110 marks)
Special Note : Modified toys are not acceptable
Using appropriate materials, make the machine
according to your own individual design plans.
Computer numerical control (CNC) technology should
be used, where possible, to support manufacture. You
are required to manufacture and assemble all the
parts, subject to the following guidelines:
- Standard components may be used to support the.
assembly and interconnection of various pans;
- Unnecessary recycling will result in lost marks. Re-cycling will be acceptable only in cases
where a complex part cannot readily be made in the school.
- Bought-in electronic solutions will result in
- Adhesives, if used, should be applied sparingly.
- Project presentation
Your completed project consisting of the device and
design folio, both clearly identified with your
examination number, must be available to the
Marks are awarded for quality of presentation and
finished appearance of both the device and folio